Nov 29, 2022
Today I’m speaking with Will Buckley, Country Manager at Xero
Australia. Will was appointed Country Manager, Australia in 2022
following other leadership roles at Xero including three years as
Country Manager for Canada. As Country Manager, he is responsible
for supporting the small business economy in Australia and for
Xero’s relationships with the Australian government, financial
institutions, and advisor community. Will joined Xero in 2015
working in the Australian business, before being appointed Finance
Director of the US business and driving the launch of Xero in
Canada. Prior to joining Xero, he held commercial finance roles in
eCommerce and FMCG. He has a Bachelor of Business from the
University of Technology, Sydney. In this episode, I ask
- What’s a favourite song from the 80’s?
- In 2013, you founded buckleybrown, a 100% cloud accounting
practice for small business owners based in Sydney. I think what we
all want to know is are they getting preferential Xero pricing ?!!
And what have you taken from that experience into your role
- Can you share an interesting or fun memory of your time with
- You’ve had quite an interesting career with Xero, in that
you’ve moved from Australia, to the US, to Canada to New Zealand
and now back to Australia again. Half of your Xero career you’ve
worked for the underdog, and the other half you’ve worked for the
dominant player in the market. What have you learnt from those two
- Do North American accountants and bookkeepers have a different
approach to managing their teams and creating an engaging work
environment that Australians can emulate.
- You're 33 years young, what do you hope to achieve in your role
as Country Manager of Australia?
- You’ve coined the phrase “Compliance plus Conversations equals
Advisory”. What's your take on compliance and where it fits in the
future of the profession?
- I was listening to you talk, and you said something that
literally stopped me in my tracks, “Your Client Relationship is
your business IP”. Wow! I completely agree, for our listeners can
you unpack what you mean by this statement.
- Beautiful is embedded in the Xero brand. Why should beautiful
questioning be baked into an organisational DNA?
- You’ve said that you admire Jack Ma, Founder of Alibaba – for
his approach to compartmentalising his career journey to be more
impactful. Is this something you’ve tried to emulate?
- Is there anything else you would like to share with our
listeners and how can they get in touch with you?
I hope you liked listening to that interview with Will Buckley,
Country Manager at Xero Australia. From here, I suggest you join
the Xero Mastermind group on Facebook for advanced conversations
around the ecosystem. I suggest you subscribe to the informative
Accounting Apps newsletter which gives you a great overview of the
ecosystem space. Its available at https:// HeatherSmithAU.COM. I
encourage you to connect with me on LinkedIn and subscribe to the
Cloud Stories podcast. I’m Heather Smith and you've been listening
to the Cloud Stories podcast.. Subscribe to the Accounting Apps
newsletter here http:// HeatherSmithAU.COM